Monday, October 8, 2018

The Waterfalls at Slateford Creek

Less than a Two Hour Drive From Our Area- 
Make it a Day Long Road Trip!

Parking Area For Lower & Middle Falls N 40 56.852  W 075 07.651
Parking Area For Upper Falls N 40 56.852  W 075 07.643

We took two very short hikes to see all three waterfalls.  
These are all pretty easy to get to.

40.9462792,-75.1265091

 The Upper Falls are a short walk from the parking area, and you can stand right in the water at the bottom to take pics.  The walk is downhill, but it's not steep, and it's a really easy walk.  The walk to the lower and middle falls is a little more "moderately" easy.  There are some trees down, that you need to cross over or under, and it's pretty slippery in spots, and it's longer.  It's still pretty easy, just slightly more at the moderate end of easy.


For the Lower and Middle falls, we parked at N 40 56.852  W 075 07.651

We took 611 to National Park Drive.  The parking area is pretty obvious, there's room for a few cars there easily.  
  
The trail is not nearly as visible at first.  Walk along the wooden guardrail, at the end of the rail look to your left.  It's not marked (except for some blue paint on the stones - the trees along the trail have blue markings too), but there is definitely a trail there.

The lower falls are a little harder to see from the trail I kept catching a glimpse of them, thinking I'd be able to see them better in a few more feet..  and before you knew it, I was past them.  On the way back out I slowed down and easily found a path off to the side, that lead to the bottom of the falls.  The only problem was, it was pure mud.  I don't think it would have been too terribly difficult to go up and down, and I KNOW the view would have been well worth it.  But I had not packed a change of clothes (rookie mistake!  I know better!) and we wanted to see so many other things, I did not want to risk being covered in mud from the climb back up.  And I know I would have been covered in mud - I'm pretty certain I would have had to crawl back up the mud path, in spots.

I've seen much better photos of this fall, and it's actually 2 or 3 tiered - SO much prettier than my photo here.  Pack a change of clothes, and hike to the bottom!



 
The path continues out to middle falls. The creek below is pretty and can be seen for much of the short walk.


40.9461111,-75.1222222

When you get to where you can see the middle falls, there will be a slippery, muddy, steep path off to your left.  Ignore it.  Keep on the "regular" path straight ahead, and it will lead you right to the bottom of the falls with much less mud, on a much more gradual angle.


It's not just the falls that are stunning.  Standing beside that wall of rock was pretty neat too.

From here you CAN just keep walking, the trail, from what I read, does lead on to the Upper Falls.  But I would imagine it's a good distance?  I don't know.  We cheated.  We walked back to the car, and drove to the parking coordinates for the Upper Falls - N 40 56.852  W 075 07.643

From the first parking area, follow the road 3/4 of a mile until it dead ends on to a gate for a private residence.  Off to the left, follow the gravel road, until you see a parking area right before a small bridge. 


Follow the trail to the falls.  I promise, you can't miss them.  And the path is fairly flat and easy!

There's a small run, right from the parking area.  It will be on your right as you start down the trail.

The Upper Falls at Slateford Creek

We stood here for a bit, enjoying this gorgeous view, and then while I stood in the water taking photos, Dan wandered past the remains of this wall.



Where the waterfall continues into a second, smaller, tier.


I've seen a lot of waterfalls - and this is definitely one of my favorites. 




Looking for better photos of the falls, and tips for photographing them?
Check out this site:

This was part of our "Sunday Drive" ROAD TRIP."  
You can read all about that trip, and see the route I recommend, here:
=================================
https://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/2019/03/pennsylvania-waterfalls.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!