Friday, March 20, 2026

The Heroes Of The Wakenhut Explosion

 

At 2:15 pm on Wednesday afternoon, when the flood waters had reached a level of about 7 feet, an explosion occurred on third street in Williamsport. 

The resulting fire spread quickly through 8 businesses, and several apartments, while the raging flood waters rose around them.   Prisoners from the neighboring jail,  jail employees, neighbors, and volunteers would work for 5 hours to deliver dozens, including several invalids,  to the jail and Stearns, where they would be safe until the fires burned out and flood waters receded. 

The resulting stories in the newspapers would make a great movie script.


"Inmates and the staff of employees at the county jail stood horrified as an explosion rocked the Wakenhut ice cream plant, on William street, and the building burst into flames.  The blast, which shook virtually the whole business section of the town, also sent apartment tenants in the  buildings surrounding the Wakenhut plant to their windows yelling for help."

Sheriff Joseph Mertz, at the jail and seeing the danger of the blaze, immediately unlocked all of the cells, bringing all of the inmates out and telling them to scream as loud as they could for boats.


With the blaze already spreading to the Faries apartment building, and no boats in sight the men attached a piece of pipe to a rope and attempted to  throw it across to the Moore apartments just across the street.  The hope was that it would  allow persons stranded  in those immediate apartments to pull themselves to safety hand over hand to the jail. 

It was not a great plan -most were women and children who would have been unequal to the physical effort of going across by means of the rope.  But it was the only thing they could do.

1937 Lycoming Yearbook Photo for
Dudley Breed Turner
1917-2003, buried at Wildwood in Williamsport

Around this time a 18 year old Dudley Turner came around the corner in a canoe.  He attempted to take the rope across the street, but was swept down the street.  He was able to make it to the Moore building, where he picked up a man and woman in a window over the Moore Restaurant.  Turner then "managed to paddle single handed over to L.L. Stearns Store."

The sheriff then asked for a volunteer from among the prisoners, to risk his life and swim to fourth street to signal a boat.  Harvey Aungst, a husky fellow, promptly volunteered and was about to jump into the current when Thomas Lynn Jr appeared with his motor boat. A National guardsman, Lynn had been working all night, but he immediately set out on half a dozen trips from the apartments to the jail. 

D.S. Andrus building on the right, advertising pianos
Jail on the left

Everyone from the Wakenhut and Faries buildings had made their way to the Meckler building by way of the fire escape.  18 waited inside the front second story window of that building.

 Lynn would pull his boat up alongside the building and hold it steady for the residents to climb into the boat. He'd then cross the raging waters to the jail, where inmates and  employees stood waist deep in water, waiting to pull in the boat, and help everyone into the jail building.

The four prisoners who helped Lynn handle the boat were :
John Huffman, Woodrow Styers, Harry Boxhead, and Paul Reneau.

The families rescued in this manner were: 
  • Mr & Mrs H.M Coleton, 
  • Mrs Charles Smith, 
  • Mrs Mary Phlegor,
  •  Mr & Mrs Millard Moore,
  •  Mrs Eleanor Carroll & three  children,
  • Mrs Ed Appleman and her daughter, 
  • Mrs & Mrs G.L. Mahaffey, 
  • Miss Emma Harmon, 
  • Mike Lucous, 
  • Mike Harris,
  •  Mr Snook 
  •  Mr V. J. Kauffeld.

Mr. Snook was one of the first out of the apartments, and he remained in the boat with Lynn to help with rescue all of the others.

After making 6 trips, all of the persons from Meckler building were transferred to the jail.  As Lynn arrived back at the jail that last time, the motor on his boat died.

Wakenhut before the fire  with one of the apartment buildings next door.

"To Wallie Kauffeld, who was in the Wakenhut building at the time of the explosion, also goes considerable praise for his courage.  He hurried to the Moore Apartments and from there to the other apartments, aiding stranded persons into the boats. 

 He was the last one to leave the buildings, and it was not until he was taken into the jail that it was found he had been burned in the explosion.  He was given first aid treatment and kept at the jail overnight.  Thursday he was taken to the waters edge by boat, and from there to Williamsport Hospital."

Paul Childs, "first runner", at the county jail was the man who had tended  to Kauffields burns and took care of him through the night until he could be delivered to the hospital.  Once examined , Dr Grieco complimented the "person responsible for the first aid treatment" telling Sherifff Mertz that Childs had undoubtedly saved Kauffeld's life.

While Lynn had been rescuing the 18 closest to the fire, there were still 13 trapped in the Hunt and Neyhart buildings.  The Faries building had become a "raging furnace", and the buildings on 3rd street were smoldering.

And Turner was now having trouble controlling his canoe in the swirling waters.  


My current best guess (from the descriptions  is:
 that the center building, furniture, is the Faries Building
Fetzler Furniture in the bottom of the Faries building
Wakenhut to the right, Washington school to the right of Wakenhut
Hunt building/Mecklers Auto Supply to the left of Faries

Mrs. Emmanuel Andrews, who lived above Neyhart's store, later said that when the explosion occurred it knocked all the windows out of her apartment and caused the chandelier in her living room fell to her feet.  

"I thought the D.S. Andrus building had fallen down" she said.

  Her and her husband ran to the rear window, where they saw the Wakenhut and Faries buildings in flames, only a few feet away from their back porch.  A dozen persons were screaming from the Hunt building, on the east side that faced their apartment.  

Mrs. Andrews ran for a ladder, and carried it across the roof of Neyharts store, while Mr. Andrews poured buckets of water onto the sparks as they fell on the Neyhart building.  

(I'm still guessing & could be off on which is which)
To the right, Faries building, and the Wakenhut building
Hunt Building/Mecklers Auto
To the left Neyharts store and the Andrews Apartment
D.S. Andrus on far left, sign on side - today this is Barrel 135

Clarence Roush and James Wallis came down the ladder from the third floor of the Hunt building.  The windows of the second floor were barricaded.  The men then put up a runway to the third floor window, to help the 8 others get down to the store roof.

 Three of the 8 were "invalid women more than 70 years old."  The Grit listed:

  • Miss Annie L. Plummer, invalid
  • Miss Bartha K. Barner, Bedridden
  • Miss Barners Sister, "Also ill"

All three could barely walk, and Miss Barner's sister was taken from her bed and carried to the Neyhart roof clothed only in a nightgown and coat.

The others who climbed down were:

  • Mrs Lacy Flowers
  • Mr Roush's 12 year old daughter
  • Mrs Wallis, a sister of rs Wallis.
  • Andrew Kepler
  • "and another woman"

The women all went into the Andrews apartment, where Mrs. Andrews mother, Mrs. Helen Franciscus, was also staying.  Several of the women became quite frantic, with one so terrified of the fire and flood that she fell to the floor in hysterics.

Meanwhile, Mr. Andrews and all of the other men had formed a bucket brigade, in an attempt to save the Hunt building.  Soon, they realized there was no hope.  

The men then went into the Andrews apartment, smashed out a front window, climbed onto a ledge of the second story of the D.S. Andrus building, smashing a window for entrance there.  

 "By means of a rope they managed to get all of the women and girls into the Andrus building."

By this time Turner returned with his canoe, apparently having gone for help.  Police Officers Clifford Pfleegor and Archie Velottt were along, with a row boat.  

"By means of ropes, the men in the Andrus building lowered Mrs. Franciscus, the Roush girl, and another woman into the canoe.  Turner and Pfleegor paddled over to the Stearns store, but had difficulty in finding a way of unloading the passengers. "

With the fire raging, and the flood waters rising, Pfleegor transferred into the row boat with Velott and they went back to the Andrus building where they loaded three more women in to their boat, including Mrs. Flowers and her sister.  

"But the current was too strong for this boat, and it had not gone far before it capsized within sight of the women waiting to be rescued in the Andrus building.  

The traffic pagoda at Market Square, as the water receded

"All five persons clung desperately to the boat and were carried down to the street to Market Square.  At the square they clung to the traffic pagoda until a boat manned by William Major and Thomas Casson soon happened by in row boats arrived and rescued the group from there.

All of this was occurring at the same time as Lynn and the prisoners were rescuing others from the Meckler building, which was now "blazing furiously".  

This was when the motor on Lynn's boat quit.   Those in the Andrus building would have to wait for rescue. 

The  prisoners at the jail worked for two hours to repair the motor, then immediately went to the aid of those still waiting for rescue from the Andrus building.  When the boat got to the Andrus store, the motor again died.

The men then obtained a  strong rope  from the Neuyhart store, and it was used to anchor the boat to Andrus building.

By now several of the women were so hysterical that they refused to leave the building, but the prisoners forced them into the motor boat.  With the guide rope tied to the building the men were able to guide the boat downstream to the Stearns store, where they unloaded their passengers.  

Two trips were made in this manner, before all were safe in either the jail or Stearns, where they would have to remain.  By then it was 7pm - all of that had occurred in just under 5 hours time.

Both groups had plenty of food. At the jail, Ward Rosser, prison cook, fed almost two dozen refugees.  There were about 15 at Stearns.

The fire died down gradually after the Hunt building burned.  

This photo, from the following day when the flood waters have receded, shows the Meckler auto sign on the corner building.

The efforts of the men who formed the bucket brigade, and the thick fire wall between the Hunt and Neyhard buildings, saved the block from further destruction. 

Note the Sign For D.S. Andrus on the building on the far left.

 The fire kicked back up the next day, but by then the flood waters had gone down enough that the firemen could extinguish it with "regular equipment".  The firemen then pulled down the "tottering brick walls" to make the street safe for passing traffic and pedestrians.

L.L. Stearns on the left.  The grass to the right is the court house lawn.
Stearns would have been roughly a block away (or less) from the D.S. Andrus building, on the opposite side of the road, in 1936.

Four of the prisoners had spent the night at Stearns.  The next morning, Sheriff Mertz was walking down third street when he spotted all four of them standing on the fire escape at Stearns.  The four yelled down "Hello Sheriff"

"Don't forget to come back" was the Sheriff's reply as he continued down the street.

"That evening the four prisoners appeared at the jail, along with the other that had been released.  not one took advantage of the situation in any manner that is reported."


THE CAUSE & THE RESPONSES

Several papers had reported that the explosion was caused by ammonia in the refrigeration system. The Grit repeated an alternate theory, put forth by a workman at the Glossor Motor Car Garage Co, that gasoline had escaped from the huge tanks in the nearby Gulf Gasoline filling station.  He believed that the gasoline fumes struck a live wire.  

The blaze burned south to the Glosser Motor Car company, north to the Faries Apartments, Fetzer furniture Company, and Meckler Auto Supply company, and east to the Moore Restaurant, Schuster Radio Agency, New Way Lunch, A. B. Hunt, and the American store.

Others named specifically for their efforts in boat rescues throughout the city included" Cal Young and A.F. (Cozey) Dolan, Carl Hall &  The Sea Scouts.  Many others lined up at the ends of streets in boats at the waters edge, above the railroad tracks.  Cars with radios were stationed nearby, so that calls to WRAK could be heard, and relayed to the boats, effectively directing help where needed.   (See Hello Al - the ham radio operator who worked non stop to pass along information to WRAK, who then broadcast using car batteries for power) 


On the left you can just make out the lunch sign.  I believe this is one of the restaurants mentioned in the fire - New Way Lunch maybe?  and if so, Schuster radio may have been in this same building.
This photo shows the turbulent water rescuers were dealing with .

On March 29th, the Grit reported that all 8 of the businesses destroyed in the fire had insurance, but several were uncertain the insurance would be enough to cover losses.  Five of the eight planned to reopen.

A B Hunt & Co had already established temporary headquarters at the Prior and Sallada Company on Pine Street.

S A Glosser, Glosser Motor Car Company, stated that he planned to reopen in his building on William and Church Sts, as soon as repairs were made.  He was temporarily located at the Majestic Garage on Church Street.  The Glosser building was only one story high, and due to the height of the water, only the roof was burned.  All the cars and equipment had been moved in preparation for the flood.  Fire insurance would cover the cost of the new roof.

The Schuster Radio company planned to rebuild at their old location.

Mecklers Auto Supply planned to set up business at 229 West 3rd street, formerly occupied by Bloom and Company.  Meckler lost $6,000 in stock and his building was destroyed in the fire.  He did have some insurance.

Vaganos, owner of the New Way Lunch, was considering a location Hepburn street between Third and Fourth.

John L. Kauffeld reported that plans were not yet known for the Wakenhut Ice Cream Company.  His partner, V.J. Kauffeld was still recovering, at the home of friends in South Williamsport,  from the burns he received in the explosion.  Temporary office headquarters were established at 48 Ross Street.

Ellsworth Smale, one of the owners of Fetzer Furniture Co, said it would be impossible to reorganize.    About $3,500 worth of stock was destroyed, and insurance would only cover a part of the loss.  Mr. Smale also suffered heavy losses at his home at 1154 West Third Street.  

Millard G. Moore, who operated another restaurant, did not plan to go back into business and was looking for a job.  Friends said he intended to sell his establishment anyway, and he carried enough insurance to equal his loss.

 
Again I could be wrong, but I believe this is looking from the prison across in the 1940s.  
New Paul's lunch built beside Neyharts? (rear of the Mariott  hotel today?)

Pauls Lunch in a later flood (1946 maybe?), viewing  from the other side 

=================
THE ANDREWS
& THEIR NEYHART CONNECTION
===================

Emmanuel Andrews III 1871 - 1957
Florence E. [Franciscus] Andrews 1882-1957

At the time of the flood, Emanual was 62, and Florence 53.  
Late Emanuel Andrews Scored Many ‘Firsts’


When Emanuel Andrews 3rd of 375 Lycoming Street died last Sunday, a chapter of Williamsport's historical "firsts" was closed forever.

Tall, gaunt Mr. Andrews, known as "Manny" was a familiar figure in entertainment circles for many years. His father, Emanuel Andrews, owned half interest in the old Williamsport Opera House.

His father also founded a sawmill in this city in 1860. The mill burned in 1867 and on the site was erected a new saw works, the back building of which is now a part of Neyhart's Hardware Store. 

Mr. Andrews had helped his father and two brothers in the mill for a period of time. However, the business went downhill after the 1889 flood.

Around the turn of the century he was in charge of stage lighting and electrical work at the Opera House. (His father did not own the building at the time.) It was at the Opera House that he met Florence Franciscus, of Lock Haven. She was the daughter of William Charles Franciscus, who was billed as Franciscus the Magician. 

Mr. Andrews married her in 1913.

The Franciscus family traveled extensively throughout the East and Midwest, but as Mrs. Andrews relates today as she recalls the by-gone years, "We were always well received at the local Opera House."

Mrs. Andrews assisted her father in his magic acts and did a number of intricate fire dances. She and her father were credited with receiving a number of splendid newspaper reviews throughout the East.

Some years before their marriage - in 1893 to be exact - Mr. Andrews owned the first automobile in Williamsport. It was a Stanley Steamer, and arrived at the freight house on Fifth Street from Tarrytown, N.Y.

From 1912 to 1918, Mr. Andrews was associated with Biester and Andrews Carnival. Each summer he and his partner operated shows and rides on a vacant lot on East Third Street. Here again, Mr. Andrews introduced a few "firsts" in the line of carnival ride equipment.
Mrs. Andrews says her husband, "was always one to bring in the novel and different." She explained that he had purchased a motion picture machine and film and showed what she believed were the first movies in Williamsport.

The films were "just for friends in the basement of the present Neyhart Building."

"Just for the fun of it," Mr. Andrews purchased the first small-scale auto in the city. Mrs. Andrews didn't recall the exact date, but did remember that her husband had the first Austin in Williamsport.

Mr. Andrews' uncle was the first mayor of Williamsport _________ James W. Wood. Major ________ officer in the Union Arm_______ Volunteer Regiment, b_________ mayor of the city in 186_

His death marks the end ______ that just "seemed de________ firsts."


===================
READ MORE
===================




Neyhart's advertisement, 1950 - "In the Same Location Since 1871"



1938 advertisement for Wakenhut
at 901 Memorial Avenue

Wakenhut Ice Cream Company was started by George Wakenhut in 1900.
Hurr got his start with Wakenhut
V.J. and J.L Kauffeld purchased the interest of Wakenhut in 1926.
J.L. Kauffeld's married a Wakenhut (George's sister I believe)
George Wakenhut  committed suicide a few years after selling the business 


1948 Expansion managed by Daniel H. Bower
"The ice cream equipment is at the rear of the store behind a picture frame window so that patrons can witness the manufacture."

======================


=======================
Thomas H. Lynn Jr, age 26, former Pennsylvania National Guardsman, "has been awarded the Soldiers Medal by the War Department for saving 18 persons trapped by fire at Williamsport during the flood of March 18 1936."    Lynn, a former Philadelphian, resided in Geneva Ill in 1939 when the announcement was made. 


While Thomas H. Lynn Jr received a medal for his work during the 1936 flood, his father, Thomas Lynn senior, was faced  court martial for his actions during the same flood.  "His action, while under the influence of liquor, in demobilizing the units of Williamsport, " Governor Earle said, "was the only blot on the fine record of the 7,000 national guardsmen who saw during in the flood districts of the state during the past week."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!