Chaucer Panels In The Williamsport High School Frieze
Rena Frankeberger, Director Of Art At Williamsport Schools
Rena Frankeberger, Director Of Art At Williamsport Schools
“And this is the story, I mean the story of the panel, not of Saint Thomas, though I suppose that all those who were present at the private exhibition last Tuesday know it. Miss Frankeberger who is the instructor of drawing in the schools came to the conclusion a year or so ago, that the pupils of the high school might do far worse than busy themselves with the study of illustrations. And if they were to do illustrating, surely there was no field more fertile than that of Chaucer. So I gather, everybody went to work; clippings of Knights and horses, clearly armored Knights and queerly shaped forces some of them, were cut out and pasted on paper; sketches were produced and seemed suggested, to list the idea grew, the assistance of C. Reginald Thompson, the modest member of the grit staff, whose work has been shown in a number of galleries, was invoked. Then the realization of the idea of Miss Frankeberger, ambitious as it was, was made possible. Who selected the subjects of the panel now completed, and may the original sketches of the composition. She became a sort of general, grimly determined to overcome all obstacles that sit between the idea she had conceived and its translation into actuality. And she led her forces on to victory." - The Grit
"When I saw the paintings themselves ---some of them 20 feet long --- I abandoned myself to clear enjoyment, I have no desire to play the critic, and such erudition as I possessed I was anxious to discard. I was too greatly delighted with the pictures to enjoy emulating the attitude of Ruskin, so I confess that I looked hopefully, but in vain, for a portrait of the redoubtable wife of bath…”
1. Dorigene's Rash Promise, Franklin's Tale
2. The Court Of The Tabard Inn
3. Emelye in the Garden, Knights Tale
4. The Patient Griselda from the Clerks Tale
The American Magazine of Art. (1918). United States: American Federation of Arts.
C. Reginald Thompson is credited for some of the Frieze, but this entry in the Catalog of Copyright Entries. (1919). United States: U.S. Government Printing Office lists Frankeberger in specific works, including the Court of Tabard Inn, Gate of Tabard Inn, and Griseldas betrothal.
The New Williamsport High School in 1914
This later was taken over by WACC, and today is part of Penn College.
In 1937, the Chaucer Panels were at Williamsport High School
WHERE ARE THE CHAUCER PANELS NOW?
I do not know. I would VERY much love to know.
(And also, where is Daniel Chester French's Bust Of Emerson, gifted to the high school?)
==========================
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Tangled Tangents - Art Week At Williamsport High School, 1919
======================
READ MORE
=======================






















.png)


.png)
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!