Wednesday, September 23, 2020

The Archealogical Dig At Fort Freeland

Archeological Dig At The Site Of Fort Freeland

I think I must have known there was once a dig at the Fort Freeland Site, and now that I am thinking about it, I think I have seen some of the artifacts in a display case at the church.  But I had never given it much thought before I came across these articles.  I could spend more time researching this, as I normally do - or, I can take a short cut.  I'm sure many of you know more about this than I do, some of you who read this were probably even there.  

So rather than spend time searching for more articles, I am  going to post this as is  on facebook, and see what you all can tell me about this dig.  

 

In 1978, an archeological dig was held at the site of Fort Freeland.

The diggers found a stone foundation about four feet east of the Hower Slote House.
It was determined that the foundation was not old enough to have been part of the original fort, and was likely built sometime later.

The Hower-Slote house was built between 1811 and 1830.  It's believed that the brick house stands where a log cabin once stood, in the middle of the fort.

Fire Pit

Evidence of a log cabin was discovered on the west side of the house.  There diggers found what is believed to be a "sleeper floor" from an old log cabin.  In the center of the site, the group found a prehistoric fire pit.

Items found in the 1978 dig included:

  • Buttons
  • A Bayonet from a British Brown Bess Rifle
  • Broken Pottery
  • Rusted Metal
  • Flint
  • Projectile Points (Arrowheads)
  • Animal bones
  • Several fire pits were found near the southeast corner of the Hower-Slote House.

Found Before The Dig:



Three "flint or chert projectile points" found in the Warrior Run area in the 1970s
The one in the center is a paleo point, found where 54 crosses the creek.
The two on the sides were found near where the Weaver One-Room School house stood.  (Today, the Lewis Twp building is located there)
These artifacts are thought to predate the battle of Fort Freeland by thousands of years.


Find More Local History & Stories Here:

===============
READ MORE
===============












No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!