Wednesday, March 24, 2021

A Parade For Maj. John Oberdorf, Selinsgrove, 1943

 

Approximately 200 people lined the streets to honor Selinsgrove's first war hero, on April 9 1943.

Major John Oberdorf was awarded the Air Medal for Meritorious service in connection with a troop carrier flight to North Africa in 1942.

The entire group of aviation cadet candidates at Susquehanna University would appear for the first time as an entire unit, in this parade.

The 450 participants in the parade also included member of the Selinsgrove Victory Post 25 of the American Lewion, and members of various Civilian Defense Units, both men and women.

Prof. Elrose Allison of the Susquehanna University Conservatory of Music was in charge of the band music.

"Every effort is being put forth to make the parade a gala occasion.  Major Oberdorf, a former resident of town, a graduate of the local high school and Susquehanna University, is the first Selinsgrover to be cited in the present war. No tribute that the town can pay will be too great for him.  The parade Friday night will be a visible means of appreciation for the services of such men as Maj. Oberdorf who are doing their part for us." - The Snyder County Tribune, April 1943

The parade was to begin at Susquehanna University at 6:30pm and proceed over a route through the central part of town. 

All town residents were asked to display flags at their homes for the parade.

The Reviewing Stand was in front of the Hotel Governor Snyder (Formerly the Sterner Hotel).  Maj. Oberdorf is shown standing beside his mother.

==================
Stories & History From Selinsgrove, Pa

For More Local History & Stories From Nearby Towns:
==========
READ MORE
============
John Oberdorf with a bi-plane

Colonel John W. Oberdorf, born in Snyder County in 1914, was the son of John C. & Celeste [Sandel] Oberdorf. In 1947, he married Lois Ely, in Pasadena California, where his brother George lived.

Colonel Oberdorf entered the Air Force in 1939 as a flying cadet.  He served as plans officer of the 9th troop carrie command in the European Theater, and spent three and a half years in foreign duty.  Col. Oberdorf achieved the remarkable distinction of becoming a Colonel when 32 years of age.
A sister, Mrs Arthur H. Wilson, remained in Selinsgrove in 1947.








3 comments:

  1. Hello Heather, I am related to John Oberdorf and was very happy to find your blog post with such great photos. I would like your permission to use two of the photos in a genealogy book that I am working on strictly for personal use. Please advise and thanks so much! Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These photos were taken long before I was born. I am not certain who the photographer was, but it wasn't me. :-) So I can't actually give you permission to use them. Copyright laws vary by years, and by item, so it's way beyond my attention span in most cases, and you should definitely do your own research, but anytime I use photos on this blog that I did not take, I do so believing that there is no existing copyright and that they can be freely used. "Published works registered for copyright in the U.S. through Dec. 31, 1963 are now in the public domain unless the copyright was renewed. If the copyright was not renewed, the copyright expired after 28 years."

      Delete
    2. Side note - I came across this particular set of photos while searching for my Oberdorf ancestors. I don't think I am related to this branch though - I just can't break down that brick wall to be certain where my line originated.

      Delete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!