Saturday, November 6, 2021

Neal McCay Halfpenny - The Tenor From Lewisburg

 
Neal "Mac" McCay Halfpenny, who went by the stage name Neal McCay, was a well known tenor performing in operas in New York, England, and Australia.  The son of Mark Halfpenny, who owned the woolen mills that are today the street of shops, Neal is buried in Lewisburg Pa.

The story of McCay's success is best told by himself, in an interview he gave to the Lewisburg Journal in August 1895: 

A FAMOUS VOCALIST. 
The Story of a Lewisburg Boy's Success.
NEAL McKAY HALFPENNY began his Musical Career against the Advice of Friends He owes His Success to his own efforts-How he overcame Difficulties in London.

 Among those Lewisburgers who have gained distinction of a wide character on account of their ability is Mr. Mac Halfpenny, sobriquet Neal McKay, who has won a wide reputation on account of his rare ability as a vocalist. Mr. Halfpenny, who comes from an old and solid family, has for the past thirteen years been absent from Lewisburg battling with the world. When called upon the other evening by a Journal reporter, he spoke pleasantly of his experiences. 

"When I left Milton, 6 years ago, where I was employed, to commence the study of music," he began, "I was greatly discouraged both by mv family and friends, for they knew that comparatively few succeed as professional singers. I felt very blue at the time, but my impulses and love of music led me on. I went to New York and studied under Courtney, the great American master, and he, also, at first did not encourage me. He said that my voice was not remarkable, but that I had a very rare quality of singing, with that expression and individuality which would please an audience. 

After I had studied under him for some time, Courtney told me one day that he was surprised at the remarkable way in which my voice was developing. To make matters short, after four years of study in New York, I was selected as the tenor in Penny Davenport's famous troupe, and filled numerous other important engagements in the States."

Regarding his wonderful success in England, this summer Mr. Halfpenny said: "When, as a stranger, I arrived in London, last spring, I called upon a number of agents and asked them to give my voice a trial that I might obtain some engagements. They all turned me down and said the metropolis was overrun with singers. After remaining there some weeks without getting the ear of any operatic agent, and when about ready to return home in despair, through the intercession of a lady friend, I was put on the list at a fashionable afternoon concert, to be called upon in case anything should occur to any of the regular performers. In the middle of the performance the manager touched me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear to follow him to the stage, that I would be called upon next. I was so excited that I turned pale. I realized that my desire for a chance to be heard had come and that my fate, my reputation, my all, depended on the next few minutes' work. When I got on the stage the director gave me a glass of champagne. At the proper time it was announced that Neal McKay, the American tenor, would now make his first appearance before an English audience. As I stepped to the front of the stage I was greeted with a round of hearty applause. My scattered senses began to return, and- as the accompaniment to my piece struck up and iuy voice took the course, it seemed as though I forgot all, and was lost in my song. At the conclusion, I was half way off the stage before there was a hand clap and I said to myself: 'I have tried and lost.' Then the applause broke forth. I was encored four times, and the critics hurried to my dressing room for particulars as to myself, but I sent them away without any satisfaction, for I was done up."

 Continuing, Mr. Halfpenny said : "After this time I was in great demand, and in the short time I remained in London I was offered thirty engagements, one was to tour Ireland and another was to star in a forty weeks engagement in India. But I was scheduled to return tp America this summer, and was not able to accept any long engagement. I will remain in the United States until next April, when I will go back to London, which city will henceforth be my home on account of the demand there for concert singing, which I will make my specialty at present. I expect to stay two years in Italy and will sing in Paris."

==================

October 1902

Hometown Concert
In 1902, Neal McCay gave a concert in his hometown of Lewisburg.  He had spent the two previous years, 1900-1902, performing at the Queens Theater in Melbourne Australia.  The concert was to raise money for the Reformed Church, and more than $100  [over $3,000 in todays money] was raised.  

=================
March 1911

McCay Shot in Texas
On November 6 1911, Neal McCay Halfpenny was mistaken for a burglar and shot down in the street of Houstan Texas.

After finishing his performance that evening, as the leading man with the traveling 'Madam Sherry' company, McCay had supper and went for a walk about town with a friend.  "Taken sick, he stopped in an alley.  Two officers approached.  One drew a gun, and said 'I want you' "  One of the officers was plains clothes officer Freeman Hill.  Hill shot McCay in the thigh, shattering his right leg.  

According to the Houstan Post, the officers watched the two men for some time.  They claimed to have observed McCay and his companion standing at the door of a small building, located in teh rear of the Texas company, trying to enter that door.  "Without attracting the man's attention Graham, Hill says, went to them and placed them under arrest.  McCay broke loose form him and started to run, but was caught by Hill, according to his statement.  He grappled with the officer, threw him aside and made for the street, but Hill says he fired before the man turned the corner, the bullet striking McCay in the right leg and inflicting a flesh wound."

Chatanooga Daily Times

Detective Hill was later that week indicted on the charge of Assault With The Intent To Commit Murder.

McCay made a full recovery.  He died more than 20 years later, in 1933.

===================

Find More Stories & History Of Lewisburg Here:
https://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/2020/08/lewisburg-pa.html

And More Stories & History From Surrounding Towns Here:
https://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/p/history.html

===========
READ MORE
===========

Neal McCay Timeline - 

1889 - Employed in a store at Milton, until his father died and he went to New York.   " I got up at 5am every morning to work in a store.  I kept that up until my father died, when with the small amount of money that fell to me, I came to New York."

1906-1907 - The Governor of Zeeland in Red Mill
For the original Broadway production in 1906, producer Charles Dillingham made theatrical history by placing in front of the Knickerbocker Theater a revolving red windmill powered and lit by electricity. This was Broadway's first moving illuminated sign. The Broadway production closed on June 29, 1907, before touring.

1911 - Leading man Traveling with the Madam Sherry Company.  Mistaken for a criminal and shot.
1913, May - Sailed For Paris
1914 - Gustave Donnet in The Red Canary, at Lyric Theater in New York
1933, April 10 - Died.  Remains brought to Lewisburg for burial.

August 1896

May 17 1898
Neal McCay gives farewell concert in Lewisburg
McCay then went to Paris to study foy a year with Sbreglia.


August 1895


Lewisburg Chronicle
15 Nov 1902

Given in the Presbyterian Church Tuesday Evening. 
OVER A HUNDRED DOLLARS CLEARED 

The Singing and Music Were of a High Standard and Wax Well Received. A large and appreciative audience assembled at the Presbyterian church on Tuesday evening and listened to one of the best musicale ever given by local talent in Lewisburg.

 It was the unanimous opinion of the best critics that the affair had never been surpassed and seldom equaled. The leading performer was Neal McKay Halfpenny, who recently returned from Melbourne, Australia, where he filled a two-years' engagement in the Queen's ' Theatre. 

Mr. Halfpenny demonstrated that he is entitled to the distinction of being one of the best tenors in the country today. He has a remarkably clear, fine voice and on Tuesday night had perfect control over it. His first selection. ' 'Dry Those Tears, " was  rendered in a masterly fashion, and he received a storm of applause. He responded to the encore by singing "Far Away." His other two selections were equally as well rendered as the first two and were received with great enthusiasm. The others who took part were Miss Knox and Miss Aiken, of Bucknell Institute  Mrs. James Halfpenny, Misses Josephine and Louise Lawshe, Misses Anna and Mary Halfpenny. Miss Knox never appeared to better advantage than when she rendered "A Song of Thanksgiving." by McAllister. Responding to a ' hearty encore she sang "Spring," by Henschel. The piano solo by Miss Aiken, the familiar "Polonaise Militaire," by Chopin, was rendered in a manner that called forth merited applause. She, too, was compelled to respond to a hearty encore. 

Mrs. James Halfpenny's solos were among the chief features of the program and were enthusiastically received by her audience. The Misses Halfpenny rendered a piano duo which called forth an encore that was deserved. The violin solo, "Jocelyn," by Miss Louise Lawshe, was rendered with the player's usual skill and was greeted with hearty applause, as also her response to an encore. Her accompaniment was played by her sister. During the evening Miss Mildred Shaffer, daughter of W. O. Shaffer, recited two selections in a clever manner. The musicale was given for the new Reformed Church and more than $100 was realized.


February 1 1912

April 1913

May 1913



1907




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!