An Index Of Ghost Stories In The Central Susquehanna Valley
If you look hard enough, there's a ghost story for every old structure in our area. Count Nikolaus Ludwig Zinzendorf, an early Moravian missionary who explored this area in the mid-1700s, wrote in his diary that the area was given the name Otzniachson because “for it was here the Indians say the evil spirits have their seats and hold their revels.”
Here is where to find some of the tales, indexed by county:
General - Or, not limited to one location
- The Legend Of Jack O Lantern
- Mad Anthony's Ride Across PA to retrieve his bones - "One tale, dear to every yarn-spinner in these historical parts, tells of "The Rider of the Night," a shadow man on a shadow horse. Believers say the phantom is Mad Anthony Wayne, - brilliant Revolutionary War fighter, whose statue graces Valley Forge Park." It is said that the ghost rider gallops across Pennsylvania, between his two graves, looking for his lost bones. The truth of Mad Anthony's two graves may be even spookier than than the fiction.
- The Witch Of Ridley Creek - Eight years before the Salem Witch Trials, two women in Pennsylvania were tried for witchcraft..
- Cry Me a Squonk- A Pennsylvania Cryptid
- Inez Bull and the Vanishing Hitchhiker by Lou Bernard
- Loop Hill Ike - by Lou Bernard
- The Haunted Portrait Of Nellie Tallman, at the Taber Museum
- The Siren Of The Loyalsock
- The Skeleton Of A Hessian Soldier, discovered in a hidden basement at Lochbar [Antes Fort Pa]
- The Phantom Of South Williamsport, 1899
- Did A Williamsport Ordinance inspire Mark Twain to write a tale of cemetery residents? Maybe.
In 2013, an episode of The Dead Files was filmed in Williamsport Pa, in the 1500 block of Memorial Avenue, at the site of the Plum Tree Massacre. The Dead Files is an American paranormal television series, airing on the Travel Channel. Psychic medium Amy Allan performs "walks" through haunted properties, while former NYPD homicide detective Steve DiSchiavi interviews those affected and performs research into the location's history.
- [Near Rebuck] The Schwaben Creek Werewolf, by Henry Shoemaker
- Capering Ghost In Cemetery & The Headless Man, Debunked [Written for the Sunbury Daily Item, 1951]
- The Sunbury Spook - 1887