Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The Druckenmiller Trading Post, Built In 1789


Originally built by Peter Druckenmiller in 1789, as a trading post along the Tuscarora Indian Trail, the cabin and half the land it originally sat on were sold to Christian Kantz in 1803.  

The cabin remained in that location through three county line changes, until 1998, when a descendent had the cabin moved to their property in Lewisburg Pa.  Then, in 2019, that descendent gave the cabin to the Union County Historical Society.  It was torn down, and rebuilt at the Dale Engle Walker property.

The Kantz log cabin was built in 1789 by Peter Druckenmiller, as a trading post on the  the Tuscarora Indian Trail, in what later became the village of Kantz in Snyder County.


Peter Druckenmiller died in 1870, leaving his son and daughter each to inherit 180 acres.  Elizabeth [Druckenmiller] Hafer sold the land with the cabin to  Christian Kantz in 1803 [or 1804].  

When the cabin was built, it was located in Northumberland County.  In 1813, when Union County was established, the cabin was located in the new county.  Then in 1855, Snyder County was created, and the cabins location was in that new county.  

The cabin, when it was located on the Milne Property in Lewisburg, Pa.
In 1998, Marcia [Kantz]  Milne, a descendent of Christian Kantz, purchased the cabin and had it moved to the property she owned with her husband, in the old College Park section of Lewisburg.  The Milne's refurbished the cabin and collected artifacts from the early 18th and 19th century, to fill it.  
2013

In 2019,  Marcia donated the cabin to the Union County Historical Society.

 The cabin  was dismantled, and then rebuilt on the Dale Engle Walker Property.  

The dedication of the cabin was delayed by the pandemic. 


===============
READ MORE
==============
NOTE - Many of the Druckenmiller's in our area are descended from Sebastian Truckenmiller.  This Peter Druckenmiller however, is not one of them.  This Peter Druckenmiller came to America in 1752/3, 20 years after Sebastian arrived here.  It's possible they were related, but I have no information on that at this time.

==================================
My husband Daniel's 6th great grandfather, Sebastian Truckenmiller, came to America in 1732.  He married, and had 8 children.  My husband is descended from Sebastian's youngest son, Jacob.  

Sebastian's second son, George, married Susanna Lohr.  Although it's not the only time Truckenmiller was written as Druckenmiller, George's children all appear to use the Druckenmiller spelling.

Although there are other Druckenmiller and Truckenmiller lines that came to America at later dates, and there are other times that Truckenmiller was spelled Druckenmiller (or Druckenmueler) many Druckenmiller's in our area can trace their line back to George Truckenmiller, son of immigrant Sebastian Truckenmiller.
===========================

1803 Land Release Document

Land sold to Christian Kantz

Peter Druckenmiller (also spelled Truckenmuller) arrived in the US from Germany on the British ship "Beulah" and took the oath of allegiance at the port of entry, Philadelphia on 7 Sept. 1753.  First settled in Heidelberg Township, Lancaster County.



Peter arrived on British ship "Beulah", and took Oath of Allegiance at Philadelphia, 7 Sept. 1753; r. Heidelberg Twp., Lancaster Co (PA) and by 1771 Penn Twp. in present-day Snyder Co., PA (see "Annals of the Buffalo Valley" by John Blair Lynn, p. 37); members of Row's or Salem Lutheran Church, Penn Twp


============
Will Of Peter Druckenmiller
====================


…I Peter Druckemiller of the County of Northumberland in the State of Pennsylvania Yeoman being sick and weak in Body, but of Perfect Memory (Thanks be unto God) Do make this and ordain my Last Will and Testament.            And as Touching my Worldly goods where with the Lord hath pleased to Bless me in this Life, I despose of them in the Following Mannor:  First it is my will that all my Just Debts & Funeral Expenses should be paid.  Secondly I give and Bequeath unto my beloved Wife Anna Mary Gret the House that I live in During her Natural Life which the Children are to Keep in Repair so it be Dry and further I Bequeath unto her all my Kitchen Furniture and the Debts Due to me for her to recover for her own use.   & the third part of all my moveable and further I order my Children Fredrick and Elizabeth Heffer to give my said Wife the following Articles yearly and jointly Viz Twelve Bushel of Wheat, Ten bushel of Rye, four Bushel of Corn, Ten Bushel of Potatoes and loan one Quarter of Ground with Flax seed for her use and further It is my Will that my said Children in Common furnish my said wife in fire wood and if they have pay for the same And further I give unto my said Wife one Cow she to have the Choice of all my ChattlesAnd further I give unto my said Wife for ___ my Children in Common to give her a fat Hog whighing one Hundred Weight  and further the Garden by the House which was in my use formerly.   Item I give and Bequeath unto my Son Fredrick in [lieu?] of his being my first born son a Young Bay Mare and further it is my Will that my Plantation in Penns Township in the County aforesaid shall be divided Between my Children Fredrick & Elisabeth in the Following Manor   Viz that is to say that my son Fredrick is to have Thirty Acres Moore than my Daughter Elisabeth and if they my children could not agree to choose four inDeferent men to set the Line, and all the rest of my Movable Estate to be Divided between them share & share alike  Viz between my son Fredrick & Daughter Elisabeth. And I do hereby Constitute and ordain my beloved Wife Anna Mary Gret and my beloved Son Fredrick my Joint Executors of this my Last Will & Testament Ratifying this and Revoking all others.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 20 March 1782. Witness Present                                                          Peter Druckmiller  George Troutrey                                                                     his mark Phillip Armiller  Proof of Will of Peter Druckemiller




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!