Sunday, May 19, 2024

Artist J. Ray Yocum

 

J. Ray Yocum was an accomplished artist from Norry who specialized in watercolors and wood carvings. He created Christmas scenes which were displayed around King Street Park.

This view from the Shikellamy State Park Overlook hangs in the Northumberland County Historical Society in Sunbury.


Several of his paintings are in the Northumberland museum at the Borough building and several carvings are hanging in St John's Lutheran church

A veteran of World War II, Yocum painted the walls of VFW Post 298 in Danville with scenes from action in Europe and the South Pacific.

1943 Won an award for a painting of the Redman farm along the Danville Road.

Joseph Ray Yocum was born December 6th 1891, the son of Adam and Mary [Geyer] Yocum of White Deer Pa.  He married Olive Beyer, and was an engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad.  Ray died in December of 1966, age 75, and is buried in Riverview Cemetery in Northumberland Pa.


1953
Painted Nativity scene for St Marks

1962



================
READ MORE
=================





1 comment:

  1. Ray was my great grandfather's brother(great great great Uncle?). I have several of his paintings and a few carvings. Never knew the borough had the one of Norry. If that's painting ever goes up for sale or needs a new home I hope I find out, I'd love to have that in my collection. It shows my hometown and is done by the hand of my favorite artist!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!