Sunday, June 9, 2024

John Wise's Ascent From Danville

 

Professor Wise, as he would be known later in life, had made almost 28 balloon ascensions in the Sunbury and Danville areas in June 1841, and at least one from Williamsport in July of 1841.


  Wise wrote a book titled Through The Air: Forty Years Experience As An Aeronaut.
Sunbury and Williamsport are not mentioned in his memoir, but his ascension from Danville is.


==================
Ascent  from  Danville,  Pa.
==================

THE  next  ascension  worthy  of  note  took  place  at  Danville,  Pa.,  in  June,  1841.  By  reference  to  my  aerial  log-book  I  find  that  at  two  o’clock  thirty-five  minutes  I  lost  sight  of  Danville,  and  in  a  few  moments  afterward  passed  into  the  clear  sunshine  above,  when  the  gas  began  to  expand  and  cause  the  balloon  to  ascend  with  an  increased  rapidity.  The  Susquehanna  was  now  lost  to  my  view  by  the  intervention  of  clouds,  and  the  country  beneath  presented  one  vast  wilderness  as  far  as  the  eye  could  reach ;  the  atmosphere  was  extremely  cold  for the  height  over  this  extensive  coal  region.  The  clouds  beneath  me  were  sufficiently  broken  to  afford  me  constantly  recurring  glimpses  of  things  below,  and  I  never  before  had  found  them  so  extremely  diversified  on  their  upper  surface.  On  this  occasion  there  were  two  strata, but  not  of  that  distinctive  character  which  were  met  with  in  a  former  voyage.  The  lower  bed  was  cumulostratus,  resembling  uneven  and  rugged  precipices;  the  upper  was  more  of  a  cirrostratus,  and  consisted  only  of  patches  here  and  there,  but  very  high  above  the  lower  layer.
 
At  two  o’clock  forty-five  minutes  I  crossed  the  Pottsville  road  between the  Bear  Gap  and  Northumberland  road,  travelling  at  the  rate  of  about fifty-five  miles  per  hour.  At  three  o’clock  I  crossed  Pottsville,  and again  brought  to  view  the  cultivated  fields  of  the  husbandman.  My altitude  was  so  great  that  I  could  not  recognize  the  town  until  crossing Schuylkill  Haven  and  coming  in  sight  of  Orwigsburg.  The  cold  atmosphere  became  so  uncomfortable  that  it  impelled  me  to  descend ;  but after  lowering  some  distance,  I  found  the  valley  in  which  it  had  been my  intention  to  descend  had  been  passed,  and  the  chain  of  Blue  Mountains  already  reached,  which  required  me  to  seek  refuge  in  the  clouds again.

 At  three  o’clock  forty  minutes  the  clouds  began  to  thicken  beneath  me,  so  that  I  could  at  intervals  only  see  the  face  of  the  earth.  Perceiving  a  village  which  the  balloon  was  about  crossing,  I  threw  from  the car  a  new  bread-basket  which  had  been  placed  in  it  at  the  time  of  starting,  intending  to  serve  me  as  a  temporary  seat  should  I  prolong  my voyage.  As  it  fell  toward  the  earth,  it  presented  a  beautiful  appearance to  my  view ;  it  had  not  gone  far  before  it  assumed  a  rapid  rotary  motion, bottom  downward,  its  upper  being  the  concave  side,  looking  like  a beautiful  rosette  set  into  a  circular  motion  on  its  centre.  Its  descent on  the  earth,  as  I  was  afterward  informed,  caused  considerable  aston¬ ishment  to  several  persons  who  saw  it  coming  down,  they  not  knowing  j anything  of  the  balloon  above  them  at  the  time.  At  four  o’clock  I passed  the  town  of  Reading  a  little  to  the  west  of  it.  This  place  had  a handsome  aspect;  the  white  streets  crossing  at  right  angles,  and  the beautiful  spires  and  domes,  white  as  snow,  with  their  glittering  balls  and vanes,  made  the  prospect  highly  interesting.

 I  found  the  atmosphere  much  colder  in  crossing  this  mountainous
 region  than  it  usually  is  in  crossing  over  a  level  and  cultivated  country at  the  same  height.  During  this  voyage  I  observed  a  peculiar  motion in  the  balloon,  which  had  on  former  occasions  drawn  some  attention from  me,  but  which  had  not  been  closely  investigated.  It  was  this: When  a  balloon  is  sailing  along  with  a  steady  current,  while  in  equilibrium  with  the  atmosphere,  it  revolves  slowly  on  its  vertical  axis.  This rotation  is  not  at  all  times  a  smoothly  continued  circulation,  but  is  pulsatory,  like  the  notched  wheel  of  a  clock  which  is  actuated  by  the pendulum.  At  first  I  attributed  this  motion  to  my  breathing,  believing the  vibration  of  the  lungs  sufficient  to  give  a  corresponding  motion  to so  delicately  balanced  a  thing  as  a  balloon  is  when  suspended  in  space.

 I  held  my  breath  as  long  as  I  could,  and  this  was  done  several  times, but  the  pulsations  of  the  balloon  were  not  interrupted  by  it;  on  the other  hand,  they  seemed  more  audible  during  these  experiments.  Upon timing  these  pulsations,  I  found  them  to  be  every  two  and  a  half  seconds, and  this  seemed  to  be  regular,  as  far  as  my  observations  indicated.

 This  left  me  at  a  loss  to  account  for  the  motion,  as  it  seemed  not  to  be caused  by  my  breathing,  and  did  not  correspond  with  the  beat  of  my pulse.

 At  twenty-five  minutes  past  four  o’clock  I  descended  near  the  house of  Mr.  Wm.  Mcllvain,  near  Morgantown,  about  seventy  miles  from where  I  started  in  a  straight  line,  where  I  was  cordially  received  by that  gentleman  and  his  hospitable  lady.

 My  landing  here  was  caused  by  mistaking  the  Downingtown  turnpike
 road  for  the  Pennsylvania  railroad,  which  was  some  eight  or  ten  miles farther  to  the  south.  During  this  voyage  I  also  distinctly  felt  the  difference  of  temperature  in  crossing-  large  valleys,  where  a  degree  of warmth  rose  up  quite  congenial  to  one’s  feelings  while  in  a  frosty  region.
 This,  I  presume,  arises  from  a  greater  quantity  of  the  sun’s  rays  being reflected  upward  from  a  valley  than  from  level  ground.  I  forgot  to mention  that  the  pulsatory  motion  of  the  balloon  was  not  perceptible when  it  was  rising  or  falling,  and  is  only  to  be  detected  when  the machine  sails  a  considerable  length  of  time  at  a  great  altitude  in  a steady  horizontal  direction.  Fluctuations  of  the  balloon  by  rising  and falling  from  any  cause  soon  neutralize  this  delicate  motion.
===================
An Index Of Hot Air Balloon Stories




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!