Monday, June 17, 2024

Lycoming County In The Civil War - A 1934 Thesis

 
In June of 2024, Don Smith posted on facebook that he had received a pdf file entitled Lycoming County in the Civil War, and if anyone wanted a copy just to message him.  So I did, having no idea what to expect.

This pdf file is a 1934 thesis, written by Edward Larue Bierce for the "submitted in partial fulfillment for the degree of Master Of The Arts, June 1934".

It's a fantastic paper, covering the Lumber era, and, as the title says, Lycoming County In The Civil War.  Not just the regiments and battles, but stories of the people who stayed behind, how they rallied, and how they operated the Underground Railroad.

The document is 72 pages long.  I've broken it up into segments for parts that most interested me, and I've also included a link so that you can download and read the entire pdf if you would like.  It's a great look at some of the history, from a time when enough people were still around to share the stories.

All photos, with the exception of the map of the underground railroad, were added by me and not part of the additional paper.  

 

Slavery Sentiment & The Underground Railroad 



 


 

 

 

 

 

=========================
The Contents & Outline Pages - 
Followed by The Bibliography Pages:







=================
READ MORE
=================
For my personal reference - the contents and outline are the first 5 pages of the pdf.














1 comment:

  1. I love Mrs. Diggs oral histories. Especially the "history lesson". Thank you, Heather.

    ReplyDelete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!