Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Deer Lake, Sullivan County

Deer Lake is a rustic lake in Sullivan County PA. It is an 18 acre lake, owned by the Dwight Lewis Lumber Company.  No boats are permitted on the lake, but fishing is allowed.
If you hike to Ticklish Rock, this is the lake you can see while enjoying the view up there.

There's a well worn sign posted near the parking area.

The outhouses (now full of junk) and this old fireplace lead me to believe this was once a much more used area? Possibly it was a logging camp.  So far I have found no history of this lake.   If you know more about it, I would love to hear from you!

One of the two sided outhouses

Ogdonia Creek feeds into the lake

A heron in the middle of the lake

Our kayaks were loaded to kayak on Hunters Lake later in the day, boating is not permitted on this lake.

======================
 There is a geocache here!


8 comments:

  1. Any idea if the fishing is any good here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deer Lake was a family owned campground for many years. A lot of people have fond memories of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents used to rent a cabin at Deer Lake.
    I have alot of good memories of deer lake and the
    general store that used to be on the property.
    Now, all the cabins and buildings are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family camped here my entire child and way before I was born. I have so many fond memories of this place! There use to be a store with penny candy and a pool table. There was also a basketball court. There were docks. There was an small island in the middle of the lake and lots of lily pads on the other side of the island that you could get stuck in while paddling a boat. There was also a natural spring up the road that we would fill gallon jugs before going home. It was an amazing place back in the day! I sure miss it 😢

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived there when I was a child and it was the best fun place around. Gone there today and it's sad to see how it is .

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family rented houses along the lake in the early 60’s with other families. I was a child at the time but I have memories of no electricity, actual ice boxes for refrigeration, out houses, wood burning for warmth and water collected at the spring and a beautiful lake that had great fishing. I was very young but have some vivid memories. I have no pictures but if any exist I’d love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent a summer there with my Uncle John in the early 1990s just before it was bought. My uncle was an avid hunter and owned a cabin on the lake he eventually lived in year around briefly. I remember seeing in the lake, hiking to angels falls and a group of guys catching snapping turtles and making a huge pot of soup we all ate. There was also a bear that would come down a clearing and take apples from peoples hands basically. I have been hunting for this place for years, since I was young and only visited once, hard that it was bought by someone, but I never right it would not be kept in use for recreationally use. What a shame I really wanted to be able to go back one day with my children.

    ReplyDelete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!