Monday, October 31, 2022

The Bloomsburg Ferry

 
The Bloomsburg Ferry

The ferry was operated by a frenchman by the name of LaFountain.  "youngsters called him 'Frenchie' and he did not like it."

"There were times when a flat boat were used, but the row boat was the more frequent form of transportation. A bell near the ferry was used by prospective passengers to hurry the ferryman to his job."

As described in the 1941 Bloomsburg Morning Press:

========================

In June of 1890, the ferry wire was struck by lightening:





1 comment:

  1. I live on Jackson Street in Rupert. I once found an article years ago in the morning press that my house was once the post office and general store in the early 1920's. I cannot find any information now. Can you or anyone suggest some thing? I remember there was a pix of a horse tied to a railing in the front. This article helped me to understand why both front rooms have doors to the porch! Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!