Wednesday, August 5, 2026

The Molly Maguires - Index




======================
ASSORTED NOTES & MENTIONS:
  • On this day in local history, September 6th 1869 - The Avondale Mine disaster. 111 workers, mostly welsh, were killed. Later investigation showed it was caused by a design flaw in the mine shaft, but early on, the Molly Maguires were blamed. Read more about the disaster at Wynning History: https://wynninghistory.com/2019/03/04/avondale/

  • In 2026 I read the book Centennial by Fergus M. Bordewich, "about the great fair of 1876".  I found it to be much more about the politics of the nation around the time of the Worlds Fair than all that much about the actual fair, but it was interesting, nonetheless.  There's a chapter on the Molly Maguires, and the author connects that saga to the railroad riots (unions).  It was interesting, something I had never thought through before, and I need to make a time line to look more at the correlation between the two.  On Amazon https://amzn.to/4wYVBQS  ( I did disagree with the authors statement that there had been no real record of murders before the Pinkertons got involved...  there was an astounding number of unsolved murders in that time frame. 

  • One hundred years after Kehoe's execution, in January 1979, Pennsylvania Governor Milton J. Shapp signed a letter memorializing Kehoe's posthumous pardon.  https://kehoefoundation.org/john-kehoe/





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!