Friday, May 19, 2017

Visiting Kinzua Bridge State Park


I had originally left a lot of time in our schedule for this stop.  For some reason, I expected this to be a lot more of a hike. This is not a hike.  There is a paved, wheelchair accessible, path from the visitors center all the way out to the walkway.  There is another small walk to another observation area, and there are other paths, but you can see this very quickly and easily with no great athletic effort at all.
Notice the two sets of tracks, one inside the other?  One of the signs explains that there are two sets like this in case the wind moved the train as it crossed - the train would catch the second set of tracks and keep going.


It was breath taking.  I really wish we had gotten here before the storm destroyed the bridge, but I'm glad they have made it an area we can still visit.


loved walking out on the bridge with the birds soaring right beside you.  At times I was looking at the tops of birds wings.  They were mostly vultures, but it was still really cool.

The Interpretive center, while small, is one of the best I have seen.  They have kept it in period theme, so the photos are in a display, in sepia tones, that you spin to see.

This is hands down one of my all time favorite state parks, and I didn't even kayak here.  (Kayaking is my favorite!  LOL!)  The gift shop was also fantastic, and focused on locally made items.

This was one of my favorite visuals in the interpretive center - the bridge is as tall as the statue of liberty.



An online album of all of our Kinzua Bridge State Park Photos:


This area is an Earthcache, and there is a regular cache very nearby.  An Ammo can in the woods that you barely have to walk from your car to retrieve.

=================================


Read More About Our Geocaching Adventures & Tips Here
https://susquehannavalley.blogspot.com/p/geocaching.html

1 comment:

  1. Myself and a good friend were lucky enough to catch a steam locomotive at Kane, Pa., and ride on a beautiful fall day clear across this bridge, before turning around and heading back-- the train did stop before crossing, to allow those to depart that didn't wish to ride across, but perhaps walk-- or just not go across at all. We were old, fat and lazy-- we rode!

    ReplyDelete

I'll read the comments and approve them to post as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by!