December 25, 1876 - "William W. Huth, continuing the practice established by his father, distributed 200 loaves of bread among the deserving poor of Milton"
The Huff bakery was located on the west side of south Front Street. It was opened by Henry Huth, father of William, a cooper who came to Milton and opened a large bakery. "Having amassed a considerable fortune, he built the Riverside Hotel, a large and handsome building, which he opened last year as a summer resort."
Nathaniel moved to Brookville in 1897. Three of his sons, grandsons of Henry, went into the bakery business as well.
THE FIRE OF DECEMBER 12th, 1875.
At eight o’clock in the evening of Sunday, December 12th, 1875, Mr. Henry Huth, proprietor of the Riverside Hotel, on Front street, discovered heavy volumes of smoke issuing from the rear basement of his house. He at once gave the alarm of fire, and then, with the assistance of Mr. J. G. Kurtz, entered the room with buckets of water, to find the location of the fire, and to extinguish it if possible. But the dense smoke made it impossible to remain inside for more than a single moment. In a very short time, the two hand-engines were on the spot, and each had a stream into the burning basement - one from the front, and the other from the rear. The house was kept closed as tightly as practicable to smother the fire, or at least to retard its progress until help could arrive from Lewisburg and Watsontown. Dispatches had been sent to those towns for aid, but, as it was Sunday evening, there was no locomotive under steam at either place. Permission, however, was received from the superintendent of the railroad, and they were then fired up as quickly as possible. - The History Of Northumberland County
"At the end of that time, banking-rooms were rented for a term of twenty-five years, in the block of Mr. Henry Huth, on Front street. There it continued business until the block was destroyed in the great fire of December 12th, 1875. The safes and other property were got out, with but very trifling loss, and removed to premises on the opposite side of Front street, owned by Mrs. Frymire, and occupied by D. W. Angell, who vacated to accommodate the bank.
Here it did business until July 12th, 1876, when it was moved to the new banking-house which had been built on land purchased from Mr. Huth; being the same spot which it occupied at the time of the fire." - The History Of Northumberland County
The Riverside Hotel later became the William Harris Restaurant.